Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Time Swimming in a Long While

I can't even remember the last time I went to a pool for exercise purposes! Perhaps the very las time that I swam back and forth in a lane was when we had the aquatics unit for my Grade 9 gym class.

I've made up my mind - this year I am determined to swim 1-2 times a week to improve my fitness. Now that I've announced this to the whole world, it'll add weight to my motivation. :)


 I went to my community centre's public pool from 9-10pm today, but the actual time spent in the water was 20 minutes. It's is a little embarrassing to say this, but I felt extreme fatigue after 5 full laps (50m/lap)! Now I'm convinced that stopping my Taekwon Do training classes had a significant impact on my body and health. I used to be able to balance this with a cross country season in the fall and a track and field season in the spring. However, I missed the cross country season this year because I was in Russia when most of the action was happening and since the track season is in April, I simply could not put off exercising any longer.

Although the muscles in my left shoulder are tense and constantly in pain after the exercise, I fell great mentally! Exercising does pump more oxygen into the body's blood cells so it is natural for a person to be exhausted physically but fresh mentally after a good workout. I almost forgot about another important thing - hunger. I have a faint memory that when I used to swim in the past, my stomach would be grumbling afterwards and today's workout wasn't an exception either! I was quite satisfied after treating myself to some sunny side up eggs.Yum!

My next goal is to swim 8 laps in about 20 minutes. Will keep you all updated on the progress! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment